Re: [SLE] OCR software
For scanning in linux there is one web site - www.vividata.com You may like to see

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Schneider" <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 4:46 AM
Subject: Re: [SLE] OCR software

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 21:26 +0000, Dylan wrote:
On Wednesday 01 February 2006 20:58, Ken Schneider wrote:
> Anyone know of any OCR software that -actually- works? I've tried
> gocr and ocrad and neither one produces -any- readable output.

I've used ocrad with a reasonable amount of success - you need to feed it the highest resolution monochrome image you can, but the errors it makes are systematic so you can generally search and replace to sort out the bulk of the text.

Tried at the highest resolution and had about a 20% success rate which
is pretty lousy. I could type the document faster and I am not a typist.
Maybe there is a windows solution I can run in wine or vmware.

--
Ken Schneider