Re: [SLE] Cannot talk to netgear WGT624 wireless router ??
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp-lists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:29:16 +0200
On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 21:13 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> Purchased Netgear WGT624 wireless router to replace the Netgear RP114
> which has served me faithfully for several years.

[snip]

Patric, how are you doing with that router? We use netgear almost
exclusively, and they really do work with linux.

Here's what I usually do:

Stop the network on your PC with rcnetwork stop.
Give your network card a static IP
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2
ifup eth0

I suspect that the dhcp in the router might be misconfigured. Not sure
how that would be possible, as the dhcp server should not start under
those circumstances. But it may be possible.

Otherwise, use arp to put an IP in your arp table for the router (the
MAC address should be printed on the bottom, and/or somewhere on the
box). I've had to do this many times before when dealing with new
clients that have existing printservers etc. that need attention.

Hans