Re: [opensuse] problems with making initrd
  • From: Rajko M <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 18:15:47 -0600
Franziskus Meier wrote:
Hello,

while trying to built my first own kernel I've got a problem. Maybe it's more simple for this mailing-list.

Simple tech-stats of system:
OpenSuse 10.0 with Update to 2006-01-31

After configuring kernel-plan (I need additionally to handle amiga and apple harddiscs on i386 system and added under "partition types" -> "amiga partitioning" or so) I compiled the kernel and modules. This steps created also an addtional directory /lib/modules/2.6.13amgia-15.7.default. Then I copied the kernel-file vmlinuz.bin from /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/ to /
boot/. Due to the entry amiga in Makefile the above mentioned modules directory resulted. After adding the kernel via yast in grub with origin initrd-file the first start with new kernel failed.Trying to create a new initrd via

mkinitrd -i initrd-amigardb -k vmlinuz-2.6.13amiga-15.7-default -m "via82cxxx tmscsim processor thermal fan affs"

the system replied:

Root device: /dev/hda3 (mounted on / as ext2)
Module list: via82cxxx tmscsim processor thermal fan affs

Kernel image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.13amiga-15.7-default
Initrd image: /boot/initrd-amigardb
No modules found for kernel

What does the system need?

If more information needed, feel free to ask.

Hi Franz,

#make install
#make modules-install
would install kernel and modules for you.
Now you can run
#depmod
and than
#mkinitrd <your_parameter_line>