Re: [opensuse] Refreshing the source in yast2 sw_single should be skippable
  • From: Christoph Thiel <cthiel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 15:25:51 +0100 (CET)
On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Silviu Marin-Caea wrote:

> Say, if I want to install a single package that I know it's on the
> media, I have to wait for yast2 to complete refreshing all the
> installation sources that I have defined. And some of them are large
> and are on the internet.
>
> There isn't any way to skip the refreshing just once, this time.
>
> Consequently, a task that should take 1 minute takes 10. Not optimal.
>
> If yast2 sw_single + YOU is going to be replaced soon with something
> from the grander vision, very well, then it's not justified spending
> resources on this. Else, some buttons or CLI options that will skip the
> refresh wouldn't hurt.

It's possible to enable/disable autorefresh for an installation source in
the "Installation Sources" module or in y2pmsh. If you are using a CD/DVD
inst source, it shouldn't do autorefreshing by default.

# y2pmsh
[...]
[0] y2pm > source -ls
Known sources:
0: [x] SUSE LINUX Version 10.0.42 (...) [autorefresh]
[0] y2pm > source --help
Usage: source OPTIONS
-e ID, --enable ID enable source number ID
-d ID, --disable ID disable source number ID
-a URL, --add URL add a new source at URL
-u ID, --update ID updated cached data for ID
-R ID, --remove ID remove source number ID
-P ID, --product ID install source number ID as product
-A ID, --autorefresh ID enable autorefresh on source number ID
--noautorefresh ID disable autorefresh on source number ID
-s, --show show known sources
[0] y2pm > source --noautorefresh 0
[0] y2pm > source -ls
Known sources:
0: [x] SUSE LINUX Version 10.0.42 (...)
[0] y2pm >
#

Anyway -- with the upcoming changes in the Package Manager this procedure
might fail to work in the future ;(

Regards
Christoph