Re: [opensuse] question about opensuse/ppc
  • From: Daniel Bauer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 16:47:29 +0100
Am Mittwoch, 1. Februar 2006 16:02 schrieb Mathias Homann:
> Hi,
>

> I've got a serious question for you guys:
>
> Would you say that "opensuse 10.x/ppc on an old g3 or g4 mac" is a good
> idea for someone who has NO computer experience at all, and is ... well,
> old.
>
> Background: A computer for my mom, to send mails and browse the web.
> She has no experience with computers at all, so no matter what i give her,
> i'll have to do support for it.
> And right now I might be able to wrestle an old mac (g3 or g4 i think) out
> of the greedy hands of my companies basement storeroom where it sits
> unused, collecting dust (and maybe worse). And since I have no clue about
> macos, it will most likely be running opensuse/ppc + KDE 3.5.x.
>
> Ist that a good idea, or am I digging my own grave here?

_IF_ you want your mom using a computer then in my opinion a Linux-Computer
will be the best choice. I don't know how opensuse runs on a Mac machine, but
if it runs like on a PC i guess you'll have to do less support than ith
another OS, because Linux appears much more "logical" to me it let's you
decide what and how you want to install.

I just installed opensuse on an old laptop for my 70 yrs young mother some
weeks ago. Althoug I've made a quite full install I removed "everything" from
the desktop, just leaving an icon for Kmail, Mozilla and OpenOffice-Writer.
In Kmail I also removed all the icons from the menues she probably would not
use. I can still bring them back if necessary.

I explained only the "musts" and told her to use only the program icons and
ignore the other menus.

As you can see, I am still alive :-)

Daniel