Re: [SLE] To compile 64 bit?
  • From: "B. Stia" <usr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:43:50 -0500
On Tuesday 29 November 2005 04:20 am, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> B. Stia wrote:
> > Question: Am running an AMD 64 processor. There are still not all
> > programs that are 64 bit. I know that the system will handle 32
> > bit stuff but I was wondering if an src file can be compiled to 64
> > bit.
> >
> > Ex: Tonight I went to download smart at Guru's site. There were no
> > 64 bit versions, only i686 and src's. I hesitated to download
> > either because I didn't know if either of them would work without
> > problems.
>
> You could always try and see, but be prepared to install quite a few
> more devel packages. Try this (as root if you are not set up to
> build rpm packages as a normal user),
> rpmbuild --rebuild --target=x86_64 <packagename>.src. If it works,
> you can find your new shiny rpm in /usr/src/packages/RPMS/x86_64.
> HTH

Hi Joe,

This is what I got when I tried it. Don't understand what the error
messages mean.

EasyStreet:/home/bob/installing/new # rpmbuild --rebuild --target=x86_64
smart-0.40-12.guru.suse93.src.rpm
Installing smart-0.40-12.guru.suse93.src.rpm
warning: user pab does not exist - using root
warning: user pab does not exist - using root
warning: user pab does not exist - using root
warning: user pab does not exist - using root
warning: user pab does not exist - using root
warning: user pab does not exist - using root
warning: user pab does not exist - using root
warning: user pab does not exist - using root
warning: user pab does not exist - using root
warning: user pab does not exist - using root
warning: user pab does not exist - using root
warning: user pab does not exist - using root
warning: user pab does not exist - using root
Building target platforms: x86_64
Building for target x86_64
sh: kde-config: command not found
error: /usr/src/packages/SPECS/smart.spec:44: parseExpressionBoolean
returns -1
error: Name field must be present in package: (main package)
error: Version field must be present in package: (main package)
error: Release field must be present in package: (main package)
error: Summary field must be present in package: (main package)
error: Group field must be present in package: (main package)
error: License field must be present in package: (main package)
EasyStreet:/home/bob/installing/new #

Not a big deal. Just would like to know/understand.

Bob S.