Re: [SLE] KDM Login Screen Options (Show Clock)
  • From: "labbieb@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <labbieb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 06:39:17 -0600
Randall R Schulz wrote:

>>> AFAIK, this is the one used for kdm config
>>>

> Meaning the file above the answer is the one used by the program kdm.

>>> This is there because you edited kdmrc (either directly or through
>>> KDE Control Center)
>>>

>> I have never manually edited any of these files.
>>

> Which is why I said either directly OR through the Login Manager editor
> which is a part of the KDE Control Center. Anyway, SuSEconfig makes
> this file if /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc has been changed by
> something other than itself.

>>> This is the file edited by KDE CC, which should be a symlink to #1
>>> above so that the changes works.
>>>

> Meaning the file above the answer is the file edited by the Login
> Manager of KDE CC. If it is not a link to the corresponding /etc
> version, then the edits have no effect because they edit the wrong file.

>>> This may be the old symlink renamed when you updated kde
>>>

> When you first installed, /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc was a symlink
> to /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc. When you update, rpm will
> either replace this file with the new one and keep the old one as
> kdmrc.rpmsave, or not and save the new one as kdmrc.rpmnew. Assuming
> you have rpmconfigcheck turned on, you may get a warning on boot about
> these types of files. One way to deal with them is to rename to .bak if
> you don't want to delete nor replace.

>>> Self explanatory
>>>

>> What is? How so?
>>

> I'm sorry, they seemed that way to me, because of the directories they
> were in.
> /opt/kde3/share/config/SuSE/default/kdmrc is obviously SuSE's default
> kdmrc (kdm config file)
> /opt/kde3/share/doc/HTML/en/kdm/kdmrc-ref.docbook is documentation.
> /var/adm/SuSEconfig/md5/etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc is the way
> SuSEconfig knows if the /etc...kdmrc file has changed, by comparing the
> md5 sum.

>>> If you symlink it correctly, CC will work. Else #1.
>>>

>> To what does "it" refer?
>>

> /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc. i.e.
> cd /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm
> mv kdmrc kdmrc.old
> ln -s /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc kdmrc
> Then, you may use the Login Manager program in KDE Control Center to
> edit this file, or edit /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc with the
> editor of choice. NOTE. The original file is full of great
> instructions and comments to help you edit it directly. Once you edit
> the file (either via KDE CC or via SuSEconfig), you lose all the
> commented stuff and are left with the actual config info. That is why I
> usually do not delete the original kdmrc from /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm
> but instead rename it to compare the info to the one that needs editing.

Too much work!
Use yast system, etc/sysconfig editor. goto Desktop, Display manager,
find DISPLAYMANAGER_KDE_THEME
and remove "suse" just leave it blank. now you can see the old stlye
login, and change the background, add clock, etc

Seems much easier than manually editing files.
  • No further messages