SuSE 10.0 Command Completion Dumbed Down
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:23:08 -0800
Hi,

Has anyone noticed how much stupider command completion is in SuSE 10.0
than it was in 9.3?

The old one knew, e.g., about user and group names when you were typing
a chown or chgrp command. It knew how to complete tar archive names to
the point of knowing the difference between .tar.gz and .tar.bz2 based
on the presence of the 'z' or 'j' options. It knew about directories
when the command was directory-specific.

Etc.

I'd really like to get the old fancy behavior back, 'cause I found it
significantly convenient in everyday use.

None of the files I could readily identify as being related to command
completion appear to be significantly different between 9.3 and 10.0,
so presumably I'm looking in the wrong place. Alternatively, I could
have inadvertently changed some configuration option or a default may
have changed.

Anyway, if anyone knows about this, I'd really appreciate being clued
in.

Thanks.

Randall Schulz

  • No further messages