RE: [SLE] SuSE/Linux Ping vs DOS Ping
  • From: "James D. Parra" <Jamesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 10:01:39 -0800

> All I can think of is that there must be some minor difference
> between SuSE pings (or perhaps Linux pings in general) and DOS/Win
> pings that doesn't matter to most networks, but *does* matter for
> some
> reason to this piece of industrial hardware.
> Thoughts?

I have noticed that some routers drops UDP data grams resulting in lost
information during Linux ping and traceroute requests. These lost packets
didn't occur with the DOS equivalents of the same commands. The manufacture
of the router sent me a beta firmware that resolved the problem.

Possibly, your equipment is also dropping UDP data grams.

~James

< Previous Next >