RE: [SLE] SuSE/Linux Ping vs DOS Ping
  • From: "James D. Parra" <Jamesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 11:00:14 -0800

On Thursday 01 December 2005 1:01 pm, James D. Parra wrote:
> > All I can think of is that there must be some minor difference
> > between SuSE pings (or perhaps Linux pings in general) and DOS/Win
> > pings that doesn't matter to most networks, but *does* matter for
> > some
> > reason to this piece of industrial hardware.
> > Thoughts?
>
> I have noticed that some routers drops UDP data grams resulting in lost
> information during Linux ping and traceroute requests. These lost packets
> didn't occur with the DOS equivalents of the same commands. The
> manufacture of the router sent me a beta firmware that resolved the
> problem.
>
> Possibly, your equipment is also dropping UDP data grams.
Pings are ICMP not UDP. However, some routers to block ICMP. But if this is
on the same subnet, the router is out of the picture.

Couldn't tell if it was by this statement;

4: The SuSE machine's ping command worked perfectly on a regular
network, pinging Windows & *nix computers and various hardware routers
without any difficulty.

What did he mean by *regular network*? At any rate, I was just offering up a
suggestion that maybe this device was dropping packets, not necessarily his
router. The router I had dropped traceroute packets from my Linux boxes, but
not from my DOS/Windows boxes. The firmware update list said it would fix
ping and traceroute data gram issues.

I am curious to see if he can 'traceroute' from his Suse box to the device
he is having trouble with.

~James

< Previous Next >