Re: [SLE] Grub suddenly crashed...
  • From: John Summerfield <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 05:41:25 +0800 (WST)
On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Sergey Mkrtchyan wrote:

> Hi all!!
> My SuSE 10.0 suddenly crashed. I have a dual booting machine and it gives me an "Error 16" when trying to load Grub. I booted from SuSE Linux CD and choosed "Resque System". Than I checked my partitions with command "cfdisk" so I noticed that my windows is on hda1 and hda5, and I have hda6 for Linux and hda7 for Linux Swap. When I mount for example "mount /dev/hda1 somefolder" or "mount /dev/hda5 somefolder" it goes well, but when I mount "mount /dev/hda6 somefolder" it says : "Mount: Operation Not Supported"
>
> Have anybody got some ideas?
>
> P.S. I installed Linux from DVD , but booted the resque from the 5CD versions CD1, maybe the problem is in that? Though I doubt it
>
> Thanks in advance

have some info and it's all bad. This is from the grub manual you didn't read (but might not have been able to):
16 : Inconsistent filesystem structure
This error is returned by the filesystem code to denote an internal
error caused by the sanity checks of the filesystem structure on
disk not matching what it expects. This is usually caused by a
corrupt filesystem or bugs in the code handling it in GRUB.

This is pretty consistent with your failure to mount the partition.

>From your rescue CD, you could try a filesystem check.

For ext2/ext3 I suggest
e2fsck -a -n /dev/hda6
to see what happens. The "-n" answers "no" to all questions: it does a check without writing results to the disk.