Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (3336 mails)

< Previous Next >
NEW KDE 3.5 Upgrade Problem -- python-qt AND MORE!
  • From: Robert Paulsen <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 18:11:21 -0600
  • Message-id: <200512011811.21252.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Thursday 01 December 2005 03:50, Francesco Teodori wrote:
> Skip the kdebindings3-python package. It's what I did and everything work.
> Francesco
>
> Robert Paulsen wrote:
> > I have the pre-release KDE 3.5 installed OK on SuSE 9.3. Got it from SuSE
> > supplementary source via YaST's "Install and Remove Software" about a
> > week ago.
> >
> > Now I want to update to the official 3.5 release but ran into a problem.
> > It has a missing dependency: kdebindings3-python requires python-qt which
> > is apparently not available. The pre-release 3.5 version does not have
> > this package but it also didn't call it out as a dependency.
> >
> > kdebindings3-python is required in turn by hplip -- needed by CUPS to
> > support my HP Laserjet printer.
> >
> > So, it seems I cannot install the official KDE 3.5.
> >
> > Does anyone have a way around this?
> >
> > Bob

Well, things have gone down hill! I decided to take all the advice and not
install the kdebinding3-python package. Unfortunately when I now run "Install
and Remove Software" I get some *additional* missing dependencies and
conflicts. Here is a summary. Yes, it does read like nonsense.

+ installed not available
+ is not available
+ not not available
+ k3b 0.12.8-3b.pm.2 conflict
+ kdebindings3-python 3.5.0-8 conflict
+ python-qt not available

two days ago I only got the last one (or two) messages. Clicking on the "+"
next to k3b gives an interesting result:

k3b requires is
k3b requires not
k3b requires installed

My *guess* is that someone updated k3b on the servers but got the rpm SPEC
file wrong. It thinks it requires three packages named "is", "not", and
"installed"!

I tried the main SuSE ftp site and two mirrors and got the same results. Just
in case something went wrong with my system I tried "rpm --rebuilddb" but
that made no difference.


< Previous Next >