cdrecord writes nonportable DVDs
  • From: "Paul W. Abrahams" <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 19:27:40 -0500
Cdrecord is giving me a problem: the DVDs it writes are readable only on the
machine where they were written. It wasn't always this way; older ones from
the same drive/machine/software are readable anywhere. I suspect that the
drive has somehow gotten out of calibration, but I'd like to avoid replacing
it. One indicator is that cdrecord gives me the message:

cdrecord: WARNING: Drive returns wrong startsec (0) using -150

I googled the message and got many results, but none seem particular to this
message. I don't even know if the message is relevant to the problem, or if
there's anything I can do to make it go away.

Is there some way to write the DVDs more conservatively that's likely to cure
the problem?

Paul

< Previous Next >