Re: [SLE] Funky DVD / Drive Behavior
  • From: Stan Glasoe <srglasoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 22:04:10 -0600
On Wednesday 30 November 2005 10:16 pm, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Hi,

<snip>
> Hda is a Sony DRU-720A dual-layer writer, hdc is an older Sony DRU-510A
> single-layer writer (both are capable of reading dual-layer media).
> Both are IDE drives configured as masters of the two separate IDE buses
> of my mainboard. There are no slaves on those buses and all other mass
> storage is on SCSI.

How are these drives jumpered? Master/slave/cable-select and is the IDE
cable a dual or single drive type. If its a dual drive cable is the drive
plugged into the end of the cable? Try switching the master/cable-select
jumper even if it is jumpered as the master device on the end of the cable.
This is very IDE controller and system BIOS dependent. I have seen IDE
devices work and then fail until the master/slave/cable-select jumper was
changed to the other way. They haven't failed after that.

> It seems very odd that while no error was reported, reading stopped on
> hda after 4.3 GB while hdc when the full 8.5 GB. One might suppose that
> hda couldn't handle the layer switch yet reported no error when it
> should have done so.
>
> Another oddity I noticed when conducting these experiments was high CPU
> usage when accessing hda. It turns out its DMA had gotten turned off
> somehow. I reenabled it and ran the test again. Aside from going about
> twice as fast, nothing changed.

I was on a roll yesterday with recommending www.CDFreaks.com for CD/DVD
drive firmware updates. It is worth your time to check your drives there.

> Has anybody seen symptoms like this? Can you shed any light on what
> might have happened to the malfunctioning drive to account for these
> peculiar symptoms?

Similar issues. Turned out to be CD/DVD drive firmware and/or bad media.
Where was the media burned that fails in this drive? Was it burned in this
drive?

> Thanks.
>
> Randall Schulz

Kevan might be right about the laser getting out of alignment. I have never
seen that happen though to a CD/DVD drive. Power supply or other
electronics on the device usually dies before that happens in my
experience.

Stan