Re: [SLE] cdrecord writes nonportable DVDs
  • From: "Dana J. Laude" <dlaude@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 22:16:13 -0700
On Thursday 01 December 2005 17:27, Paul W. Abrahams wrote:
> Cdrecord is giving me a problem: the DVDs it writes are readable
> only on the machine where they were written. It wasn't always
> this way; older ones from the same drive/machine/software are
> readable anywhere. I suspect that the drive has somehow gotten
> out of calibration, but I'd like to avoid replacing it. One
> indicator is that cdrecord gives me the message:
>
> cdrecord: WARNING: Drive returns wrong startsec (0) using -150
>
> I googled the message and got many results, but none seem
> particular to this message. I don't even know if the message is
> relevant to the problem, or if there's anything I can do to make
> it go away.
>
> Is there some way to write the DVDs more conservatively that's
> likely to cure the problem?

First try dropping the write speed down to 4x or even 2x. Also
you might want to check out http://www.cdfreaks.com/ and see
if they have a firmware update for you're drive. (worth a shot)
But, it sounds like the drive might be failing. I just picked up a
new Lite-On dvd dual layer drive off of newegg for $44, works
good. (DVD+/-RW LITEON SOHW-1693S BK RT - Retail) The
only complaint I have with the drive is that the tray is not very
solid compared to my Memorex.

Dana