Re: [SLE] Postfix mail server
  • From: Chadley Wilson <chadley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:40:41 +0200
On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 14:51 +1100, Paul Cooper wrote:
> Hi, i currenty have a couple of servers running a qmail/vpopmail that server
> some mail for me. However i wanted to convert to postfix due to its good
> reputation and the fact that i'm now using SuSE and it seems to be the
> preferred server.
>
> 1) what are the requirements to get a server that authenticates SMTP
> requests, serves imap/pop3 mail and does everything with virtual domains.
>
> I would prefer to use mysql as the virtual domain handling, however - the
> default install of postfix on suse 9.3 doesn't support this correct? so...
>
> 2) what other method that suse's postfix does support is recommended.
>
> I _have_ googled this and unfortunately nearly everything i have come across
> that uses virtual domains, uses mysql, and i would really like a 'SuSE
> config' . However, if mysql (or any SQL db really) is the best way - then
> i'm happy to compile from source. I'm just being overwhelmed with the
> different daemons/programs people are using to get a mail server running,
> and i'm sure from one tutorial to another they are simply replacing one
> program with another - but then i see both of them used in the next
> tutorial. (ie one has SASL, then one had mysql - then one had SASL and mysql
> :( ).
>
> 3) If anyone has a suse specific mail server set-up tutorial, i'd love to
> have the link.
Maybe I can assist you today, I have a bit of time..

Firstly I need to know how you are currently setup,

To make it clearer there are two common setups,

The first is this
your ISP collects your mail for your domain, and you download it from
them,
The second is your ISP registers mx records for your mail server and you
host your own domain.

In my experience these are the mos common setups.

Then we need to know if your current setup is an exchange with or with
out ssl sasl etc..

In a nut shell the simplest setup is postfix relay with qpopper.

Chadley