Re: [SLE] Mysterious cron problem with Suse 9.3
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 13:00:11 -0800
Eric,

On Friday 02 December 2005 12:28, Eric E wrote:
> Funny, I got the advice to use /usr/bin/touch from IRC... Anyway, it
> seems to be in both on my machine:
>
> # which touch
> /usr/bin/touch
>
> # ls /bin/touch
> /bin/touch

It goes all the way back to the dim dark mists of time. At least to Bell
Labs v7 Unix. To wit:

% rpm -q --whatprovides /bin/touch /usr/bin/touch
coreutils-5.3.0-20
coreutils-5.3.0-20

It's probably in both places (/usr/bin/touch is a symlink on my system)
because over time different versions of Unix (-like operating systems)
have put it in different places and having both just prevents a lot of
things from breaking.

And check out the man page. You can, e.g., control the actual timestamp
used, overriding the default which is the time of invocation.

Randall Schulz