Re: [SLE] IDE HD PROBLEM
  • From: H du Plooy <hansdp-lists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:49:05 +0200
On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 15:21 -0200, joao marka wrote:
[snip]
> after the system was running, i´ve tried fsck.ext3 an hdc3, and.... server crashed
> after another reboot, system was unable to mount hdd too....
>
> Well, everything points to hardware failure... but... 2 discs at once????

Depends on a lot of factors, you can have two discs fail simultaneously
if your server suffered a strong enough power surge (a UPS doesn't
always protect you, especially if it's a line-interactive).

If it is a Maxtor disc, the firmware might have gotten damaged (their
firmware isn't particularly stable and/or robust, in my experience).

Controller/motherboard might have gotten damaged too - this seems to
happen more often with power irregularities.

Test the discs in another box, you'll be able to see if the problem is
with the discs or not.

Hans