Re: [SLE] gcc-g77 missing from SUSE10 DVD
  • From: scsijon <scsijon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:53:17 +1100
At 07:01 PM 30/11/2005, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

The GCC project has stopped development of g77 and works instead on a
Fortran95 compiler called gfortran, starting with GCC 4.0, g77 is not
part of GCC anymore - but gfortran is.

Since we have switch to GCC 4.0, we're using gfortran.

g77 is available via the compat-g77 package for a transition period
until gfortran is a full replacement for g77,

S'cuse me but, unless they have seriously changed the Fortran95 standard in the last three years, when I was last involved with CCITT.
Fortran95 was not suppose to be a 100% compatable Fortran77. There were a number of items deliberately removed
as the syntax standards were updated to those used by the programming community in general programming, and a number of format components no longer applicable deleted.
There was suppose to be a "Translator" program written for the source / program code and a simple one had been completed when i last was involved in '99, but it did still require quite a bit of source code reading and re-writing of the bits that were marked as needing manual intervention.

regards
scsijon