Re: [opensuse] Latest Thunderbird and Firefox for SUSE?
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 12:38:29 +0100
On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 11:21:08AM +0000, Marcus Cooper wrote:
> On 01/12/05, Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 08:50:10AM +0000, Marcus Cooper wrote:
> > >
> > > Would 1.5 be deemed a security patch as well and therefore delivered by YOU?
> >
> > No. We will provide security patches from the 1.0.x branch as long as it
> > is maintained.
>
> do you know how long the 1.0.x branch is going to be maintained? What
> will happen when it stopped being maintained? Will 1.5.x go into YOU?

I do not know how long it will be maintained. When it stops being
maintained we will be forced to the upgrade to 1.5.

> The reason behind my questions are if new users of SUSE 10 are going
> to be kept on v1.0.x (and yes I know 1.5.x will be easily installed
> from adding the yast source, i assume) it might be used as a critism.
> Mind you 10.1 (which will I assume include 1.5.x) will be out soon so
> I think I'm making a moutain out of a molehill.

Why? The products are meant to stay stable and only get security and
bugfixes.

Adding version upgrades for packages would reduce our resources for
new products which would hurt those...

If you want bleeding edge software our package maintainers offer packages
(Mozilla, Apache, wine, etc.), newer desktops are in the supplemental
branches (GNOME, KDE) or if you want an all bleeding edge SUSE, use the
Factory branch.

Ciao, marcus

< Previous Next >