Re: [SLE] Azureus UDP port 6881
  • From: "Stephen Carter" <stephen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 07:47:24 +0100
>>>Andreas Philipp <andreas.philipp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 07/01/05 12:54 am >>>
>El Jue 30 Jun 2005 18:33, Paul Cartwright escribió:
>
>I haven't been using Azureus long enough to know if it forces an update
on the
>user, or if you as a user are actually presented with a choice to
update your
>installed version or not to do so. It seems though as if your updated
version
>required JRE 1.5.0; at least that is what I can gather from the
website.

>That's why I usually check the available documentation before doing an
update
>or accepting any automated update from within any application. I wish
to stay
>in control and make informed choices. Now, JRE 1.5 IMHO is a big step
forward
>in terms of performance and I feel it is worth the effort. I have both
JDK
>1.4.2 and 1.5.0 installed on my machine; still the the JAVA_HOME
environment
>variable points to the newer version.

>Now, if you really care about using the most recent Azureus, you should
give
>the newer Java a try. It's your choice, you are in control.
>--
>Andreas Philipp
>Noema Ltda.
>Bogotá, D.C. - Colombia
>http://www.noemasol.com

FWIW, I installed Java 1.5.0 without a problem, then downloaded and ran
Azureus from my ~/bin directory. Works, no problems, no crashes and
it's been up for over 5 days now.

I suppose you could argue the update shouldn't have gone ahead without
checking your version of java first, but arguing about weather it broke
itself or not is a moot point as there's not much you can do about it
now. You could always switch to another BT client, or just update your
java and be done with it.

SteveC