Re: [SLE] Dead Linux machines
  • From: Nick Jones <nickj6282@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 14:13:54 -0700 (PDT)
--- "Peter N. Spotts" <pspotts@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree that this isn't necessarily the place for
> waving
> technological hurricane warnings, but the
> phenomenon, as you probably
> know, is real. It was part of the nuclear strategies
> of both sides
> during the cold war to burst warheads high over each
> others' countries
> to take out solid-state communications systems.
> Interestingly, for
> communications purposes, the one technology that
> seemed much less
> vulnerable to electromagnetic pulse was tube
> technology. And for
> communications, who had the largest inventory of
> tube-based
> communications gear? Ham radio operators.
>
> Ah, there's something to be said for the good old
> days ;-)
>
> With best regards,
>
> Pete

Pete,

I couldn't agree with you more. EMP is a very real and
very scary thing that people should be aware of and
prepared for. However, I think that the original
poster's message was an unwarranted waste of time. As
far as I can tell, this person has never posted to the
list before, and didn't bother to leave his own name.
This leads me to believe that his agenda is far
removed from the purpose of this list, which is the
dissemination of advice, information, and help on the
SuSE Linux operating system.

Perhaps a better way to approach such a topic on this
list would have been along the lines of "What do
people on this list do, if anything, to protect
themselves against an EMP attack?", or "I am seeking
advice on protecting myself and my equipment from
EMP.". The poster's tone was decidedly not one of
someone looking for or offering advice. Hence my beef
with it. I would have welcomed a post along the lines
of information disbursement, or something like what
you have posted above.

-Nick