Mail routing suggestion?
  • From: "John N. Alegre" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 11:51:50 -0500
Hello list.

I am looking for a suggestion on setting up an email system on a LAN. I am
not really asking "How do I do this?", but rather, which software solutions
should I use. I have never met too much in Linux that I can't figure out if
I know where to look.

What I have now ....

SuSE 9.1 Pro, static IP, on WAN, Firewalled, SMTP port open, Postfix set to
accept mail and route to one of 20 users on THAT machine. Postfix is
configured to accept mail for 3 domains. All email for someuser@thisdomain
or someuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx will be sent to someuser on this SuSE
system.

What I want to put into place ....

The ability to route mail to anothermachine. So mail to someuser@thisdomain
or someuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx would still got to someuser on the SuSE
box, but mail to someotheruser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx would be set up to
be delivered to mail software on anothermachine and mail from another machine
would be sent out via routing through the SuSE system.

I also want the ability to forward mail from someuser@thisdomain or
someuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to someotheruser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
and have it delivered to mail software on anothermachine.

I have heard of fetchmail, pop mail, but I know nothing about any of this. I
figured out postfix on the fly to get this far. All suggestions as to what
software to use would be appreciated. Besides setting up the new software
what changes do I need to make to my postfix main.conf file? Any HOWTO tips
would also be appreciated. If there is a better list to direct these
questions to please tell me.

For completeness the other machine I am routing mail to is a Macintosh OS X
system (10.4.1)

All comments welcome.
john