Re: [SLE] DVDs 4U (Was: "Disappointed in 9.3")
  • From: ken <gebser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 19:01:23 -0400
Randall R Schulz wrote:

>[....]
>

>>gunzip: stdin: not in gzip format
>>

>This, however, is not. (Predictable, that is.)
>
>I hate to ask this, but you are running this on a Linux system, right? I
>know of ways to configure Cygwin, which will happily run this script,
>that might cause the symptom you're seeing.

How dare you sir!!!! Nothing but Linux is used here! :)

>Anyway, try replacing the pipe into gunzip with a redirection into a
>file. Then use the "file" command to ascertain what sort of data is
>coming out of the perl stage of that script.

Did exactly that. "file" calls it "data" and, yes, it's just a big pile
of binary (garbage)..

>You might also simply "less" that file. While it's surely fully of
>binary, less will protect you from that and if there's anything
>obvious, say diagnostics from perl, you'll see it.

Sure. It's 3465 bytes of unadulterated garbage characters. No readable
text in it whatsoever.

>>So I'm still having the same problem, i.e., not in gzip format.
>>

>Of course, I could just send you the text produced on my system, but
>where's the fun in that?

My sentiments precisely. (But still you could send me the file.)

Thanks.

do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
-- Bradford Angier

< Previous Next >