Re: [SLE] gpg with email clients (was Re: [SLE] Dead Linux machines)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 02:37:12 +0200 (CEST)

The Saturday 2005-07-02 at 18:17 -0400, James Knott wrote:

> If you want a trusted authority, you can get a free S/MIME digital
> certificate from http://www.thawte.com/email. Many companies also hand
> them out to employees or customers.

I know, we spaniards can get a free and official pkcs7 certificate from
the goverment mint (FNMT, Fábrica Nacional de Moneda y Timbre). It
identifies us for transactions with the goverment, like tax forms and
payments. And it can be used for email, as a side benefit. But I reserve
it for very important emails, not for a list ;-)

> You can also save your GPG keys on
> a key server.

I have done that months ago ;-)

But as Theo pointed out, nobody really knows that those gpg keys with
which I sign my email really pertain to a person named C.R., or I'm
impersonating "him"...

Or, said otherwise, anybody can put keys on a key server claiming to be
anybody. There is no way to certify identities with pgp/gpg - except the
web of trust.

> I have Mozilla configured to support both GPG and S/MIME.

So have I. But not all MUAs can.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson