Re: [SLE] Transfer mail via disk
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 04:03:47 +0200
El Sábado, 2 de Julio de 2005 20:40, Gervase Chavasse escribió:

This email I write in KMail, for a change - from inside gnome, thus gpg will
not work. But it demonstrates that you can use several MUAs with the same
setup of folders.

> > If the folder is mbox type, it is prety simple: just copy over the mbox
> > file, with cp, to where Kmail can see it. No need to "import".
>
> As I see it, mail is by default in maildir format.

Yes, true, I forgot. I changed that default to mbox in my setup for my own
reasons.

> > I have dozens of folders, inherited from suse 5.3, 6.x, 7,x, 8.x, 9.1 and
> > finally, to 9.3. All seen.
>
> I managed to copy some of my folders back from 9.2 via a Zip drive but the
> inbox folder seemed to behave differently. I have copied it into
> both /home/myname/Mail and /home/myname/.kde.share/apps/mail but Kmail
> fails to read them. I have of course checked the possessions.

The inbox folder is special, you define it in Preferences (I'm translating on
the fly, my KMail is in Spanish), Accounts, receiving, incoming account;
chose the local account, modify, location of the archive (mine is
'/home/cer/mbox', I don't recommend changing whatever you have if it works).

> > I simply tell kmail my folders are in ~/Mail/,
> > and start using them.
>
> How do I do that?

I did that long time ago, so I had to look it up. I don't install fresh, but
update, so I inherited my setup. One advantage over fresh install ;-)

The location of the "local folders" and everything below can be modified as
explained in Kmail help, FAQ chapter. In mine, it is question 6.14. (¿Puedo
configurar la ubicación de mi carpeta de correo?). Yours will be different. I
can't change the kde language now to check, I'm using gnome right now.

Basically, it involves editing '/.kde/share/config/kmailrc', variable:

[General]
folders=/home/username/.mail

mine has:

folders=$HOME/Mail

which I think was the default time ago. Warning: the help file warns that you
will loose your filters if you forget to move your folders after changing
that.

By the way, most of your questions are answered in that FAQ. I can see a good
deal of work has been done in KMail: the help file is translated to Spanish,
including the FAQ. That's a good thing ;-)

A little investigation with mc (Midnight Commander) shows that if you want to
move/copy mailfolders in maildir format, it means moving/copying two
subdirectory, complete with hidden files:

/entrada_maildir (folder)
/cur
/new
/tmp
.uidvalidity
.entrada_maildir.index (indexes)
.entrada_maildir.index.ids
.entrada_maildir.index.sorted
/.entrada_maildir.directory (subfolder holder)
/subentrada
/cur
/new
/tmp
.subentrada.index
.subentrada.index.ids

I hope this structure I show above helps you to find out what you have to
move/copy. There might be more folders/files, I only have one in maildir
format for testing purposes.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson