As if ...
  • From: Colin Carter <colincarter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 13:01:47 +1000

As if I am browsing my hard disk with Konqueror and
I select the 'UP' arrow button in the top left corner
I just might want to open the superior directory
with GIMP, or maybe with a media player ???
WHY is this configurable under "File Associations" ?

Yep, I've done it again:
Somehow I have accidently 'file associated' a directory with
Konqueror and guess what: "Konqueror cannot handle this type of file."

It is under inode. Obvious of course, but what is the obvious
way of find out what the original setting was?
I rename .kde and restart to see what is in the new, working version -
you guessed it: nothing, blank, nil, NUL, zilch, ...
Removing the entry does not fix the problem (but of course).

Does anybody know if SuSE have documented "File Associations"
anywhere, and if they have documented a "Normal state"?

I'd appreciate any clues as I am getting fed up with all of
these 'wonderful options' which involve spending years of
study (nothing better to do) to control.
If the world goes over to Linux then every technical student at the
universities will have to study Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology
and Linux.

Sorry to gripe, but I left M$ for this, and I have spent more time
messing with Linux than coding.

I would have thought that it was in SuSE's best interest to become
involved with end user problems like this.

Please be patient with me.
Regards,
Colin

< Previous Next >