Re: [SLE] Anti-Aliasing
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 07:41:35 -0700
Mark,

On Sunday 03 July 2005 05:13, Mark Crean wrote:
> Hi
>
> SuSE 9.2 has really nicely anti-aliased type compared to Debian which
> I also have on my system - good solid lettering, good contrast
> between black and white, minimal smudging around letter forms, etc.
>
> I'm guessing that the SuSE technicians must have tweaked a few files
> to achieve this. Does anyone know which ones? I'd like to try to
> improve the rather basic look and feel on my Debian install.
>
> TIA

This is a very complex area. (Typography, in general, is a very subtle
field with a lot of counter-intuitive characteristics). When I switched
to an LCD display and a DVI-D-capable video adaptor, getting good
results became much more demanding.

For starters, the configuration that provides the best results depends
in part on the kind of display hardware you have (including both the
vide display and the video card). The tastes and visual abilities of
the human involved are also a part of the equation.

The following suggestions are KDE- and English- specific. It's all I
know.

Start by opening the KDE control panel, expanding the "Appearance &
Themes" and selecting the "Fonts" section.

Now begin playing around. Try different fonts and experiment with the
anti-aliasing parameters.

Sub-pixel hinting is helpful for LCD displays.

Lastly note that many key applications contain their own font controls
(KMail, Akregator, KNode, Mozilla / Firefox, Konsole, and on and on).

If you cannot get satisfactory results with the controls available in
the Control Panel or in the individual applications, the next thing to
do is consider rebuilding the FreeType software with the so-called
bytecode interperter enabled (it is off when shipped by the commercial
distributions so as to avoid the wrath of Apple, who hold patents on
the TrueType hinting mechanism).

For information on the latter, search the list for the past few months
for messages pertaining to rebuilding FreeType with hinting enabled.
This might help:
<http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2001/11/mfabian_bytecodeinterpreter.html>,
though it refers to a rather old version of SuSE Linux.

> :)
>
> Fish

Good luck.

Randall Schulz