now it is the keyboard ;-)
  • From: Colin Carter <colincarter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 00:57:45 +1000

This 'wonderful' TPG laptop is also giving me problems with
the keyboard.
I 'solved' the screen problem by booting with F2 setting the
screen as 1280 x 760, then, after starting, Linux objects to
the screen setup, I change it to 1280 x 800.
Then, when I finish, I wait until shut down fails and then cut
off the electricty.
However, I cannot do much because the keyboard is not
correct. M$ thinks it is a standard 101/102 keyboard and
manages quite well. But Linux swaps y with z, and totally
interchanges characters like : and > and some keys like
/ are not available at all. A total shambles. Windows XP
thinks that is an American keyboard, but Linux gets messed
up with both the American and UK set up.

I got into Yast/Hardware/keyboards and looked at what is
under each heading but cannot understand the jargon and
have no idea what to or how to change same.
Does anybody know how I might extract detailed information
from XP which I might use to configure the keyboard under Linux?

Regards,
Colin