Digital camera and hotplugging
  • From: William S Fulton <wsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 22:53:14 +0100
When plugging in an Olympus C-460 Zoom camera, two instances of Konqueror appear. One points to the URL media:/camera with one item - Olympus C-2040Z and the other to /media/usbdisk. If I use the /media/usbdisk, then I can enter the folders and view my pictures and all is well. However, if I click on the first instance, it takes me to camera://Olympus C-2040Z@[usb:]/ and a message dialog box saying "Could not read file Unspecified error." I have to reboot the computer then in order to see the pictures in /media/usbdisk.

Looking at the logs in /var/log/messages, the following appears when I go to camera://Olympus C-2040Z@[usb:]/

Jul 3 17:14:09 jaguar kernel: usb 1-1: usbfs: interface 0 claimed while 'kio_kamera' sets config #1
Jul 3 17:14:09 jaguar hal-subfs-mount[8972]: Mount point /media/usbdisk got removed.

The SUSE manual suggests looking at http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php to see if the camera is supported. It is not listed here. Some questions:

1) Is there a way to configure it so that it is supported?

2) What does the camera:/ URL do? I can't google for this term as Google ignores the colon in the search :(

3) How do I get rid of the 1st instance of Konqueror from appearing when I plug in the camera so that the media:/camera URL does not appear? It umounts the usb disk when used so I'd rather it was not around as this is all for my grandmother.

When I plug the camera into a computer for the first time, I get a message box titled "SUSE hardware detection" with message:

A new camera was detected

Open with: kfmclient openURL camera:/ ?

x Do not ask again

Yes No

I selected yes on the one system and left the 'Do not ask again' option selected. Where is this option stored? I'd like it to ask me again so that I can choose no! The SUSE Administration Guide indicates that programs are run on an event such as the camera being plugged in, but I can't see anything in any of the /etc/hotplug.d scripts that run either kfmclient or konqueror.

Thanks
William