RE: [SLE] Configuring swat -- off topic
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <jgregw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 20:47:44 -0800
On Monday, July 04, 2005 @ 3:34 AM, Ken Schneider wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 03:19 -0800, Greg Wallace wrote:
>> Correcting a typo in previous post. Should have been inetd.conf.
>> On Sunday, July 03, 2005 @ 9:29 AM, J. Scott Thayer, M.D. wrote:
>>
>> I'm still using INETD, and maybe things are different in the XINETD
world,
>> but the inetd.conf file has the following line in it for swat.
>>
>> swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/local/samba/bin/swat swat
>>
> Seems like I had to at least do some tweaking on that line when I first
set
>> up swat, but that's been ages ago. Anyway, you might just take a look to
>> see what you have in there.
>>
>You should probably look into starting to use xinetd instead of inetd. I
>think inetd is going to join the dinosaurs shortly and no longer be
>available. Yast has an excellent interface for setting it up.

>--
>Ken Schneider
>UNIX since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE since 1998

> "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably
> the day they start making vacuum cleaners." -Ernst Jan Plugge

Yes. I need to do that. But first I need to get to a later release of SuSE
(I'm still on 8.1!). I plan on taking another crack at upgrading
(hopefully) next month. I'm trying to wrap up something else first and
should be finished with that by the end of this month. My problem in
upgrading has been that I haven't been able to get a backup-recovery to work
after an upgrade, so I keep falling back to my fully recoverable 8.1 (else I
risk losing data if I take a major hit). Based on some of the things I've
read on this list, I'm wondering if part of the problem in my past attempts
at upgrading has been that I was using the CD's instead of the DVD. I
noticed after I upgraded that some of my packages looked strange. As I
recall, in some cases, when I would click on them in Install/Remove under
YAST, the only option was to delete them. Normally, there are two options
-- delete and re-install. That makes me think that the basic package for
those packages might not have been on the CDs for that newer SuSE version.
If so, that would seem to explain why I cannot successfully do the following
--

1) Convert to new version
2) Run YAST backup on new version

When I have tried this, some critical pieces of software would no longer
function. If the base packages were not there for step 2, then trying to do
a recover from that file would probably not work (i. e., not get me back to
what I had after 1) because those packages, while working on the converted
system, would not be recovered properly if the base packages were missing
from the CDs (if the CD doesn't have those packages, maybe YAST can't
recover them from backup?). So maybe, if I upgrade using the DVD instead of
the CDs, my YAST backup-recovery will work. Also, I just got a new (and
supposedly improved) version of the STORIX DESKTOP 3rd party backup/recovery
utility I bought some months ago. This newer version supports GRUB, which
is the boot loader I'm using. I was unable to get a clean recovery from the
prior version, which only supported LILO. But I also have reason to think
that I may have messed up that backup under the older version to begin with.
So, there are a number of reasons that give me hope that I'll finally get
upgraded this next go-around (at least my 3rd if not 4th attempt to get this
done). Then I can switch to XINETD as well as get all of the other new
functionality available with the newer version.

Greg W