RE: [SLE] Configuring swat
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <jgregw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 22:24:02 -0800
On Monday, July 04, 2005 @ 6:52 AM, J. Scott Thayer wrote:

>> I'm still using INETD, and maybe things are different in the XINETD
world,
>> but the intetd.conf file has the following line in it for swat.
>>
>> swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/local/samba/bin/swat swat
>>
>> Seems like I had to at least do some tweaking on that line when I first
set
>> up swat, but that's been ages ago. Anyway, you might just take a look to
>> see what you have in there.
>>
>> Greg Wallace
>There is no inetd under Suse 9.3

I see now that you mentioned xinetd earlier. Since you send a new message
each time, it's sort of hard to keep track of the conversation. See if you
have a file called swat.conf. It should be in /etc/xinetd. If not, key in
--

locate swat.conf

from a shell to locate it. An example of this file from my Samba book is

port = 901 <-- This is the standard
socket_type = stream <-- This is what mine uses
wait = no <-- This is what mine uses
only_from = localhost <-- ?
user = root <-- This is what mine uses
server = /usr/local/samba/bin/swat <-- Points to the swat binary
log_on_failure = USERID <-- ?
disable = no <-- ?

From this, you can see what port is being used on your system (should be
901). Also, I would assume disable should be set to no; else, it is
disabled (yes? No?). The only_from line looks interesting. Localhost would
seem to indicate it can only be invoked from the machine on which it is
installed, but I'm just reading between the lines here. Not sure about
log_on_failure, but I don't think you're getting that far anyway.

From what I can see, these parameters are common across all networking
programs under xinetd, not just samba. If there are any other entries
showing under xinetd as being active, they will have also been supplied a
set of parms more or less like this one, as far as I can tell. The full
list of parameters can supposedly be seen by entering --

man xinted.conf

So if there are any other parms in there, you could hopefully use that to
figure out what they mean. This man entry should explain all of the above
parms also (I don't have xinetd, so I can't look at that). If you have any
other networking applications running, you might look at the parms for those
and see what, if anything, is different (other than, of course, port and
server).

Greg W

< Previous Next >