Help with NFS
  • From: Donald D Henson <wepin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:23:16 -0600
(SuSE Linux 9.3 Pro)

I'm trying to set up a Linux-only network to use the Network File System
(NFS). The description of NFS sounds like just what I need but I'm
having problems trying to set up an NFS server.

I've seen the note in the SuSE admin manual stating that I need to have
a DNS so I decided to try to set that up first. YaST says I need
something called a "forwarder". My first problem. I have no idea what a
forwarder is and referencing the SuSE admin manual was no help. Can
someone explain to me what a "forwarder" is?

Some other questions. I assume that DNS requires static IP addresses. Is
that true? If so, how can I reconcile that with DHCP? If not, how do I
tell DNS that I'm using DHCP? In short...

I am completely lost in the terminology and processes needed to set up
NFS. Can someone point me to a starting point and give me a few pointers
on how to proceed. I will sincerely appreciate any assistance.

--
Donald D. Henson, Managing Director
West El Paso Information Network