HAL horror in SuSE 9.3
  • From: Gabor Istvan <suseuser04@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:03:56 +0200 (CEST)
Dear list members:

I've been using SuSE 9.3 for a while and I find it solid.
But there is a thing that is like horror and it is mounting media
with/through HAL.
First of all it even does not work well if installed in the default
way (out of the box) without any additional .fdi files.
Even for the same media-volume it often creates new entries in
/media, like VOLUME_1, VOLUME_2 and leaves them there as
trash. Once I had six floppy entries, from floppy to floppy_5.

I would like to mount my pendrive as /media/pendrive instead
of /media/FlashDisk.
OK, there is a method to change hal's behavior to mount to
static mount points.
The description can be found at:
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2005/05/
dkukawka_hal_mountpoints.html
Despite of that this seems like horror it even does not seem to
work.
For the cdrom/dvdrom I could set a static mount point using
the description but for my pendrive I could not. I guess that
part of the description is not correct or at least does not
contain enough information. I searched for vendor.info and
product.info values in lshal output - with my usb pendrive
mounted and unmounted - but could not find out which one is
that I need. Before inserting the pendrive I had 37 devices and
after inserting had 43 devices (as lshal output). I had 5 more
udi entries after mounting. But how do I know which one is
the udi entry I have to get the info.product and info.vendor
values from? Only two udi entry had both values and I tried
both pairs but none of them worked.
I saved the diff file of the two lshal output and can send it if
needed.

And another question: if the info.vendor and info.product is
unique for every different USB pendrive brand then will the
mountpoint change back to the hardcoded if I insert in another
type of pendrive?

(I wanted to get help from the author of the above article but
could not find his email address.)

I apologise for being so verbose but I spent a lot of time to fix
this issue without any success.

TIA,
IG

[freemail] extra 1GB-os postafiókkal, Önnek már van? http://freemail.hu