Re: [SLE] Help with NFS
  • From: Donald D Henson <wepin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:16:25 -0600
Dylan wrote:
> Please reply on list so others with similar problems can read the
> solutions...

I thought I did. I guess I forgot the strange way this list is configured.

> On Sunday 24 Jul 2005 22:57, you wrote:
>>Using your comments and the reference provided by Paul, I was able to
>>set up an NIS server and export a directory. It all appeared to be
>>working correctly.
>
> OK, what are you using the NIS server for?

I mistyped. I meant that I was able to set up an NFS server, not an NIS
server.

>>I entered the host name of a client machine,
>>linux.
>
> Where did you enter this?

I used YaST to set up a client machine. That's where I entered the host
name.

>>When I try to access the exported directory, I get an error
>>message that the host cannot be found. I'm sure that what I've said
>>above is insufficient data. Can you either see what I'm doing wrong
>>or ask some clarifying questions?
>
> Can you send the contents of /etc/exports from the server and
> either /etc/fstab from the client or the command you typed to mount the
> nfs export?

/etc/exports:

/home/dhenson/Documents/UOP/ linux(ro,root_squash,sync)

/etc/fstab:

/dev/hda3 / reiserfs acl,user_xattr
1 1
/dev/hda1 /windows/C ntfs
ro,users,gid=users,umask=0$/dev/hda2 swap
swap pri=42 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5
0 0
proc /proc proc defaults
0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto
0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto
0 0
/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom subfs
noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid$/dev/dvd /media/dvd

--
Donald D. Henson, Managing Director
West El Paso Information Network