Re: [SLE] Help with NFS
  • From: Dylan <dylan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 19:06:34 +0100
On Monday 25 Jul 2005 18:47, Donald D Henson wrote:
> Dylan wrote:
> >>/etc/exports:
> >>
> >>/home/dhenson/Documents/UOP/ linux(ro,root_squash,sync)
> >
> > OK, this is fine, except that if you specify an individual host by
> > name then you DO need to have working name resolution (DNS or
> > /etc/hosts.) Also, what is the host name of the server, and each
> > client?
>
> Host name of server = toshiba
>
> Host name of client = linux
>
> >>/etc/fstab:
> >
> > Right, there's no nfs entry there, was that from the client or the
> > server?
>
> The fstab was from the server.

OK, and the one from the client? can you ping from each machine to the
other by hostname? Does the clien't hostname apear in /etc/hosts on the
server and the server's hostname in the same file on the client?
Restricting the export to single hosts introduces complications into
the setup wrt having accurate name resolution functioning. It really is
best at the initial stage to use the subnet-IP-address/subnet-mask
approach for exporting and explicit server IP address for mounting so
you can be sure that it's working then sort out restricting access.

> > Are we sure we are talking about the same machines as client and
> > server?
>
> I'm not sure I understand your question. I am using two machines on
> an Etherfast (100 Mb/s) network, hardwired.

I take it you mean cabled and connected via a switch/hub.

> For learning purposes,
> I'm using a laptop (toshiba) as my server and a desktop (linux) as a
> client.

OK, was just checking.

--
"The man who strikes first admits that his ideas have given out."
(Chinese Proverb)