Re: [SLE] Help with NFS
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:49:23 -0400
On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 20:27 +0100, Dylan wrote:
> On Monday 25 Jul 2005 19:43, Donald D Henson wrote:
>
> > Here's the /etc/hosts contents for the client (linux)
> >
> > 127.0.0.1 localhost
> >
> > # special IPv6 addresses
> >
> > ::1 localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback
> >
> > fe00::0 ipv6-localnet
> >
> > ff00::0 ipv6-mcastprefix
> > ff02::1 ipv6-allnodes
> > ff02::2 ipv6-allrouters
> > ff02::3 ipv6-allhosts
> > 127.0.0.2 linux.site linux
> >
> > Here's the /etc/hosts contents for the server (toshiba)
> >
> > 127.0.0.1 localhost
> >
> > # special IPv6 addresses
> >
> > ::1 localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback
> >
> > fe00::0 ipv6-localnet
> >
> > ff00::0 ipv6-mcastprefix
> > ff02::1 ipv6-allnodes
> > ff02::2 ipv6-allrouters
> > ff02::3 ipv6-allhosts
> > 127.0.0.2 toshiba.site toshiba
> >
> > (I'm a bit out of my depth here but isn't the fact that two hosts
> > have the same IP address a problem?)
>
> Erm, maybe a silly question, but have you configured the network cards
> on each machine?

Apparently the OP has not. Having two machines with the same IP address
is like two separate houses with the same phone number trying to each
other, it won't work.
Setup the network interfaces using YaST with different addresses first.
you can use the 127.0.0.x addresses but it is highly recommended that
you do NOT. Use an address similar to 192.168.1.10 for one machine and
192.168.1.20 for the other. Once you can ping each machine then try
using NFS, not before. I also recommend reading up a little on
networking so you have a little better understanding of what is needed.

--
Ken Schneider