Re: [SLE] Help with NFS
  • From: Donald D Henson <wepin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:01:43 -0600
Ken Schneider wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 20:27 +0100, Dylan wrote:
>>On Monday 25 Jul 2005 19:43, Donald D Henson wrote:
>>
>>>Here's the /etc/hosts contents for the client (linux)
>>>
>>>127.0.0.1 localhost
>>>
>>># special IPv6 addresses
>>>
>>>::1 localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback
>>>
>>>fe00::0 ipv6-localnet
>>>
>>>ff00::0 ipv6-mcastprefix
>>>ff02::1 ipv6-allnodes
>>>ff02::2 ipv6-allrouters
>>>ff02::3 ipv6-allhosts
>>>127.0.0.2 linux.site linux
>>>
>>>Here's the /etc/hosts contents for the server (toshiba)
>>>
>>>127.0.0.1 localhost
>>>
>>># special IPv6 addresses
>>>
>>>::1 localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback
>>>
>>>fe00::0 ipv6-localnet
>>>
>>>ff00::0 ipv6-mcastprefix
>>>ff02::1 ipv6-allnodes
>>>ff02::2 ipv6-allrouters
>>>ff02::3 ipv6-allhosts
>>>127.0.0.2 toshiba.site toshiba
>>>
>>>(I'm a bit out of my depth here but isn't the fact that two hosts
>>>have the same IP address a problem?)
>>Erm, maybe a silly question, but have you configured the network cards
>>on each machine?
>>
> Apparently the OP has not. Having two machines with the same IP address
> is like two separate houses with the same phone number trying to each
> other, it won't work.
> Setup the network interfaces using YaST with different addresses first.
> you can use the 127.0.0.x addresses but it is highly recommended that
> you do NOT. Use an address similar to 192.168.1.10 for one machine and
> 192.168.1.20 for the other. Once you can ping each machine then try
> using NFS, not before.

Did that except I used 192.168.100.x. I can now ping the IP addresses in
both directions if I use the IP addresses but cannot ping using the host
names.

I also recommend reading up a little on
> networking so you have a little better understanding of what is needed.

Jeez, I never thought of that. I'll have to try that sometime.

--
Donald D. Henson, Managing Director
West El Paso Information Network