Switching between two sound cards
  • From: Ben Staniford <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:42:01 +0100
Hi everyone,

I've got a question I've been struggling with for a while. I've got an
onboard soundcard in my PC and it's working nicely with Suse 9.3. However,
sometimes I like to use a USB headset to do recordings etc and that actually
comes up as a separate sound device using the snd-usb-audio module.

When I plug the sound card in, KMix comes up showing two mixers (which is
great) but unfortunately I've been unable to work out how to get the arts
daemon to switch to using one or the other. I saw some override settings in
Control Center but even when I specified hardware device "/dev/dsp1" rather
than "dsp0" I still couldn't get sound out of the second sound card.

It strikes me that since KDE is using a sound daemon it aught to be possible
to switch between sound cards on the fly (even as music is playing). Does
anyone know if this is possible?

Kind Regards,

--
Ben Staniford