Re: [SLE] Help with NFS - RESOLVED
  • From: Donald D Henson <wepin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 07:06:31 -0600
Dylan wrote:
> On Monday 25 Jul 2005 21:47, Donald D Henson wrote:
>>Dylan wrote:
>>I did but I don't think I understood the options. Based on Ken's
>>recommendations, I have changed the IP address of both machines
>>(toshiba = 192.168.100.10 and linux = 192.168.100.20). Assuming this
>>solves one of my problems, what next?
>
> 1) Name Resolution:
>
> on toshiba, add the address for linux to /etc/hosts:
>
> 192.168.100.20 linux.site linux
>
> similarly for toshiba in linux's file. In both cases, make sure there is
> a blank line at the end of the file.

Did that and the penny dropped. I've never thought of the /etc/hosts
file as part of the name resolution process. For the first time,
/etc/hosts makes sense to me.

You said to make sure there is a blank line at the end of the file. Is
that essential or just a good idea?

> 2) Set the export on toshiba to:
>
> /home/dhenson/Documents/UOP/ 192.168.100.0/24(ro,root_squash,sync)
>
> then restart the NFS service (if you are using yast it'll restart the
> service for you.)

I used YaST and substituted a host name for the IP address.

> On linux, try to explicitly mount the the export (as root):
>
> mount -t nfs 192.168.100.10:/home/dhenson/Documents/UOP /mnt
>
> then see if you can ls /mnt

Yea. Everything works. I sincerely appreciate your hanging in there with
what must sound like a bunch of stupid questions. Unfortunately, much of
the documentation in the Linux world makes a lot of assumptions about
how much the reader already knows. Troubleshooting a specific problem
with knowledgeable individuals like many of you on this list goes a long
way toward clarifying concepts in my own mind. Thanks again.