Re: [SLE] Troubles with emailed PDF attachments -- largely from Macs to Linux
  • From: Sjoerd Hiemstra <penguinista.frisiana144@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:12:33 +0200
Peter N. Spotts wrote:
<snip>
> the email is arriving from my ISP (Comcast) via fetchmail. It seems
> that often, when I get a pdf attachment from someone using a Mac, pdf
> attachments come through corrupted. I try opening them with Acroread
> (7.0) and Ghostview; neither works.
<snip>
> no file coming through my second (and "default") email address at
> Comcast could be opened, even after downloading and trying to open (or
> print) from the downloaded file.
>
> Before I harumph at Comcast, I wanted to be sure the fault doesn't lie
> with me in some way. For *doc attachments from Macs, I recall reading
> somewhere that the file needed some sort of decoding before OpenOffice
> for Linux would read it. Would the same hold true for pdfs?

What does the 'file' command say?
('file yourfile.pdf' -- it won't be deceived by the .pdf extension)

If it mentions the word 'Apple' (e.g. 'AppleSingle encoded Macintosh
file') then it looks like it's the sender's fault that the encoding is
set to AppleSingle. If sent to non-Mac users, this should have been
Base64 a.k.a. mime encoding.
However, it is possible to decode this file yourself using the Stuffit
program, which I once described here:

http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2003-Oct/2463.html

BTW, also note the interesting info about mac files from one of the
respondants at
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2003-Oct/2549.html .

On the other hand, if there is no indication that the file has anything
to do with Apple, then it looks like there's reason to 'harumph' at
Comcast.

SH