Re: [SLE] monitor resolution problem
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:15:16 -0400
On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 17:44 +0000, Mike Markiw III wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had to switch monitors on one of my systems running Suse 9.2 today. The old monitor ran at 1280x1024 I believe, or it might have been 1024x768. Either way, the backup monitor I put on it is a much older model that I think can only support 800x600.
>
> Right now, when I bring up the system the monitor display is totally un-readable. It's compressed vertically and is constantly scrolling horizontally. However, if I bring it up in failsafe mode, it displays the command line just fine.
>
> I won't have access to a larger, newer monitor for at least a week or two as it stands, so I want to try and change the resolution that KDE desiplays from the command line. Can anyone tell me what files I need to modify, and what I would need to set to display as 800x600? Other suggestions for trouble-shooting are also welcome ;)
>
> Thanks in advance!
> -Mike

In 9.2 I believe it is still using /etc/X11/XF86config and that is the
file you can change for the default resolution. Have a look at the
section called:

Section "Screen"

Look at the DefaultDepth (mine happens to be 24)

Next go to the line you have for the DefaultDepth and change the order
of the "Modes" line so the "800x600" is the first one (as long as you
have a Modeline defined for that resolution). This should allow you to
start KDM at that resolution. You may also need to change the splash
screen resolution as well or turn it off, your choice.
Hope this helps. You can always change it back when you get your new
monitor.

--
Ken Schneider