Re: [SLE] Console and X-term differences??
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:07:58 -0400
On Tuesday 26 July 2005 3:55 pm, david rankin wrote:
> Ok, Mates,
>
> I have a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. What is the basic
> difference between a "konsole" window and an "x-terminal" window in KDE?
> Seems like they behave pretty much the same to me.
History and authors.
xterm is the original terminal window program distributed with The X Window
System, and is common to virtually all X implementations.
Konsole is the KDE terminal window written by the KDE people.
And there are many others, such as
gnome-terminal - from the GNOME project

The advantage of Konsole is that it is integrated into KDE, and the
advantage of gnome-terminal is that it is integrated into GNOME.

They all do just about the same type of thing. Some have transparent
features, others are configurable through menus.

There is a terminology issue also.
In most Linux systems, there are also "virtual terminals" (ctrl-alt-F1 for
instance). These are different. And you will notice that the system console
is designated as tty1 (virtual terminal 1), and all system console messages
are directed to tty1. Even the terminal emulation can be changed. You will
note that the TERM environment variable is generally set to "xterm", but
can be set to a number of different terminal emulations.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group