vsftp: 550 failed to change directory on symlinks
  • From: bronto@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:25:45 -0700
I use anonymous ftp to distribute installation files for a software program. The pub directory tree is set up by software version number, with a "current" folder containing symbolic links to files in other directories named for specific versions. Thus, the contents of "current" contain the most recent files (links) regardless of what version the actual files came from. When I release new files, I just symlink to the updated files.

This worked great on my old server using ProFTP. Using vsFTP now, whenever I try to follow a link I get an error:

vsftp 550 failed to change directory

The links are linked to valid paths. In visual ftp clients, the links appear with folder icons.

What's up here?

Rob