Re: [SLE] su93 - javac & including javadoc package docs in susehelp searches?
  • From: AD Marshall <admarshall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:34:10 +0700
Randall,

Sorry, I missed this in a flurry on some other stuff. Found javac on
SuSE 9.3. See "Finally found it", below. Thanks again!

On Saturday 23 July 2005 08:54, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> AD,
>
> On Friday 22 July 2005 07:55, AD Marshall wrote:
> > Randall,
> >
> > On Friday 22 July 2005 21:24, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> >
> > Thanks. I was contemplating adding parts of /user/share/javadoc to
> > my htdig.conf.
>
> That sounds like a reasonable strategy, though I've never tried it
> myself.
It's actually what i went with in the end. If you'd ever like to try
it i can pass you a relevant htdig.conf and /etc/apache2/default-server.conf
which you can adapt to your own machine(s).

> > I have jedit-4.1-46 installed. Will try it.
>
> The current stable jEdit release is 4.2 and 4.3pre2 is perfectly
> serviceable. If you find jEdit to be to your taste, then I'd suggest
> getting the latest from the jEdit web site: <http://www.jedit.org/>.
Looks slick. Downloading now...

> > > SuSE 9.3 includes gcj, which is the Gnu Compiler system front-end
> > > and libraries for Java. It is incomplete w.r.t. to the full set of
> > > Java libraries and standard extensions. To experiment with it,
> > > install these packages
> > >
> > > libgcj-3.3.5-5
> > > libgcj-devel-3.3.5-5
> >
> > Both were installed during a shatgun install binge I did to try get
> > the packages I needed. Will check them out further.
>
> If you're just getting started with Java, the GCJ will only be a
> considerable further complication. I'd avoid it for now, since it's
> extremely unlikely that it gives you anything you really need right now
> (e.g., static native compilation).
>

> > > SuSE 9.3 also includes Jikes, the pedantic compiler from IBM:
> > >
> > > jikes-1.22-3
> >
> > No jikes installed. If gcj doesn't do the trick, i'll try that
> > later...
>
> Jikes is compatible with the Sun compilers and the full language. It
> compiles faster (well, at one time it did, but Sun's javac has improved
> a lot in recent years) and as I hinted, is extremely unforgiving about
> the details of the Java Language Specification. That's probably its
> main claim to fame.

> > > Note the SuSE 9.3 includes both the 1.4.2 and 1.5.0 SDKs.
> >
> > Noted. (Seen them both before, but wasn't sure

> Hmmm... I never bothered to look, but my 9.3 installation, for which I
> included everything even vaguely Java-specific, there is both a "java"
> and a "javac" man page.
>
> In fact, there are quite a few java-related man pages:
>
> % apropos java |wc -l
> 89

Finally found it:
$ rpm -ql java-1_4_2-sun-devel-1.4.2.06-4 | grep javac
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.4.2-sun-1.4.2.06/bin/javac
/usr/share/man/man1/javac-java-1.4.2-sun.1.gz

yast2 was previously claiming a conflict with java-1_4_2-sun-1.4.2.08x
^
It complained about installing the -devel- pkgs unless i "downgraded"
to java-1_4_2-sun-1.4.2.06-4, which i didn't do the first time. When
i did, just now -- while trying to install jai for another project's
requirements -- javac was found.

Now just have to figure out how to get jai working - more RTFMs ahead.

--
AD Marshall
Tel: +84 (0)903871313

< Previous Next >