Re: [SLE] Help with NFS
  • From: Joseph Loo <jloo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:46:03 -0700
I depends on houw you want to set things up. If you have a full blown system you might want to use either DNS or NIS. The quick and easy way is to enter the machines ip address in the /etc/hosts. I just use my trusty editor and add the item in. After you do it ( you need to be root) you should be able to ping the host machine provided you setup the network sturf, i.e., netmask.

Donald D Henson wrote:
You may be onto something. I cannot ping from either host to the other.
(By the way, linux is the client & toshiba is the server.) For example:

ping linux (from toshiba) results in error:

unknown host linux

I get a similar response in the other direction.

Assuming that I have a problem on my DNS or my host tables, how do I
determine which and, more importantly, how do I fix it. If possible, I
would like to fix it using YaST but I can use the cli if necessary.

Don Henson

Joseph Loo wrote:
First step try ping linux from your client. If you can not ping the
server or resolve the name you have a problem either on your dns or your
NIS host tables or your host tables.

Donald D Henson wrote:
Using your comments and the reference provided by Paul, I was able to
set up an NIS server and export a directory. It all appeared to be
working correctly. I entered the host name of a client machine, linux.
When I try to access the exported directory, I get an error message that
the host cannot be found. I'm sure that what I've said above is
insufficient data. Can you either see what I'm doing wrong or ask some
clarifying questions?

Don Henson