Re: [SLE] Reclaiming Windows partition for SUSE
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:17:23 -0400
On Wednesday 27 July 2005 3:04 pm, Marlier, Ian wrote:
> My dual-installs of SuSE have all ended up with the Windows partition
> mounted somewhere in the linux directory tree. I think /windows/C but
> I'm not positive.
>
> In any case, `mount` should show you if there's an NTFS or FAT partition
> mounted under /windows when you're booted into SuSE.
>
> If not, take a look at fdisk -- `man fdisk` will give you usage info.
> That'll let you get a listing of the partitions on the drive.
>
> Once you've got the Windows partition (/dev/hda#, most likely) you can
> use mkreiserfs to format the partition, mount it as /data (`mount -t
> reiser /dev/hda# /data`) and then fix the fstab file...
BTW: Partition Magic 7 will not resize ReiserFS.
I suggest that you boot a standalone Linux and use something like QTParted.
On a few occasions I successfully resized Windows XP NTFS partitions.

You can use YaST to resize the Windows partition as long as it is unmounted.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group