Re: [SLE] swap space question in 9.3 install
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 03:47:03 +0200 (CEST)

The Monday 2005-07-25 at 15:01 -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> Actually, in Windows95 and forward swap was somewhat automatic. In Windows,
> SWAP was (and is) a file in the file system.

That's the same as it was in Win 3.1. It was a file, it could be fixed or
automatic. Same thing :-)

> I'm pretty sure the 2x (or 3x)
> rule of thumb is of Unix origin since we've been allocating swaps on Unix
> for quite a while before Windows knew what virtual memory was.

Yes, of course, I only said that the 2X rule was a windows thing, not that
wirtual memory was a windows thing. It was not possible to allocate more:
if you did, it warned you that it would not use it.

> At one time,
> the Linux swap was limited to something like 768M, and you could not
> allocate more, but that was fixed long before the 2.2 kernel.

Right. And no so long ago, there was a limit per swap partition or file, I
think it was 128 Mb. But you could allocate dozens of those spaces.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson