Re: [SLE] I can't rescue a non-booting suse 9.0
  • From: Richard Atcheson <ratcheson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:21:25 -0500
On Thursday 28 July 2005 05:47 am, Sean O'Keeffe wrote:
> Hi,
> My system isn't booting and is giving the message below (shortened). I
> know i have to rescue it by booting from the cd.

> The root file system is currently mounted read-only. To remount it
> read-write do..
>
> bash# mount -n -o remount,rw /
>
> Attention: Only Control-D will reboot the system in maintenance mode.
> Shutdown or reboot will not work.
>
> However, my 19" lcd monitor goes out of range when I select the rescue
> from the CD. So I go back and boot from HDD again and start sax2. I
> switched resolution to 800x600, 1024x768 and 1 or 2 others and each
> time I rebooted from the CD, the monitor is out of range. I was hoping
> to find out the resolution parameters to set so I can see what I am
> doing in a system rescue.
> Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated,
> Thanks,

Sean you're probably running some reiser partitions and they have become
corrupted. Try inserting the suse dvd and reboot and select 'Installation'
Then about 3 screens later select repair installation, or something similar.
Then let it do its thing automatically and see if that cures the problem. If
not, you will probably have to run reiserfsck with the tree option. Do man
reiserfsck for the correct parameters.

I havent had that problem since I stopped using the reiser fs.
HTH
Richard