Re: [SLE] Writing a program
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:37:46 -0400
On Thursday 28 July 2005 9:07 am, Chris Roubekas wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> I am trying to create a database program (eg phone catalog). Before
> doing so my main concern is what language to use? I have never programmed
> in Linux before and I want this program to operate from the prompt not
> GUI (eg YAST can be operated from the prompt). GUI is currently out of
> the scope of this program creation as the end users will not be using a
> Linux Desktop, rather they will be using their WinXX boxes and will
> probably be operating this program via ssh or something like that (still
> thinking about this part too).
>
> Can someone point out to me a language that I could write this
> program?
>
> Main features that must be present in the end program are:
> Text Menus
> Screens to input information.
> Screens to dispaly results of information.
> Will probably need to be able to do some mathematical operations.
> Printing will also be necessary.
I think that you should subscribe to the Linux-programming-e list for more
opinions. As far as languages are concerned, C, C++, Java, Python, Perl.
Since you are using command line, you may want to consider the use of
Curses to do your menus since that is character cell based.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group